St Mark's was consecrated on 15 July 1879 to cater for the newly created parish of New Milverton in an expanding Royal Leamington Spa.

The church was built on the site of an apple orchard gifted by Lady Bertie-Percy. A generous bequest of £9,000 by Lady Wheler, along with the donation of the residue of her estate by her brothers (including Rev E Carus-Wilson) raised the sum of £40,000 to build the new parish church.

Designed by George Gilbert Scott Jr, in red brick with stone dressings, the building consists of chancel with north chapel, transepts, clearstoried nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and a large west tower with battlements and pinnacles.

George Gilbert Scott Junior was the son of the famous architect George Gilbert Scott, who designed the Albert Memorial (1862-3), St Pancras Station (1865) and many many other buildings. George Junior was also the father of Giles Gilbert Scott, the architect of Liverpool Cathedral and designer of the red telephone box.

For a more detailed history, download the PDF